By Rosemarie John – If you’re looking for accommodations that are reasonable yet not too dingy in the bustling city of Jakarta, a good option would be Harris Hotel. Located in the residential area of Kelapa Gading, North Jakarta, Harris Hotel is situated adjacent to the entrance of Mall 5 of the Kelapa Gading Mall.
Boasting an all out orange themed décor,the 226 room hotel offers an ideal place to stay both for business or leisure on a decent budget. Classified more so in the league of boutique budget hotel fitted with the latest amenities, the hotel provides a great way to stay connected with the allocation of free Broadband Internet access especially for tech-savvy business travellers.
Its also a good option for travellers who want to experience a simple boutique-style stay without having to pay extra for the tiny things that matter. One night at Harris Hotel Kelapa Gading could set you back approximately IDR698,000 (USD79) with an optional buffet breakfast costing IDR90,000 (USD10).
- As it is connected to a relatively huge mall, finding what you need, enjoying a variety of Indonesian cuisine and entertaining yourself is quite easy to do.
- The buffet spread is rather impressive with a wide range of both western and Indonesian delectables to choose from.
- The rooms are big and spacious with comfortable bedding, standard toiletries provided and the allocation of free internet access makes it easy to get work done.
- It is not located in the heart of the capital, thus getting there would cost you on cab rides into areas like Thamrin, Kemang, Menteng or Kuningan. With horrendous traffic standstills most of the time, a cab ride from North Jakarta to the City Central could be rather hard on the pocket if you are travelling on a tight budget.
- The corridors of the hotel floors smell a little musty probably from wet carpets that have not dried out completely.
- Though extremely friendly and helpful, the hotel staff aren’t well informed with your typical ‘what to see and do in Jakarta’ information. Its best to do your own research about the city prior to arrival.
Harris Hotel is located at Jl. Bulevar Kelapa Gading Blok M, Jakarta 14240, Indonesia.
*Photographs taken using a 5.0 MP auto focus Blackberry 9800 Camera Phone